Municipal Worker – Asphalting Operator
The Northern Midlands is one of the largest and most diverse municipalities in Tasmania. We serve the community with honesty, integrity and pride to deliver the highest quality services to our community. For more information about our Vision, Values and Mission visit www.nmc.tas.gov.au.
About the role
We are seeking a qualified Flocon operator to undertake various asphalting activities throughout the municipality. Reporting to the Works Supervisor, this position will assist with the maintenance and construction of Council's civil infrastructure.
The primary tasks will be to:
• Maintain and seal the road network and seal pavements to a high standard
• Plan, prepare, and undertake asphalting operations in safe, timely, and effective manner
• Undertake works including patching holes, edges, pavement failures and general road reinstatement
• Reinstate footpaths and driveway entrances
• Gravel shouldering of sealed road to prevent edge breakages
• Manual repairs to gravel roads
As part of the broader works team operations you may be required to undertake additional civil construction tasks to assist at time to time, and you may be required to undertake training to operate additional plant and machinery and assist in other areas of the civil maintenance programs.
You will be a self-motivated team player who has a good work ethic and good time management. In addition, you will have good communication skills and a commitment to ensuring the safety and welfare of those around you.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
• Must have 3 or more years as a hand asphalter and machine operator undertaking asphalting and road construction activities
• Must be trained in the operation of asphalting related machinery
• Expert knowledge of asphalting principals, including preparation and planning, and be able to provide specialist advice in this area to ensure high quality outcomes
• Experience operating Flocon would be advantageous
• proven ability to interpret and follow a works plan;
• a current driver’s licence; and
• be willing to undergo a pre-employment medical (including drug and alcohol testing) to determine your physical fitness to perform the role.
Additional competencies to operate various civil construction plant and machinery will be looked upon favourably.
Our Culture and Benefits
We offer a positive and high-performing team to support and assist you in the role. We have a genuine commitment to ongoing learning and development, providing opportunities to diversify and grow, and we have a genuine concern for your health, safety and wellbeing. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an equitable, diverse and socially inclusive workplace.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary will be negotiated with the successful applicant and in accordance with the Northern Midlands Council Enterprise Agreement. Other benefits include an ADO once a fortnight, 13.0% superannuation, health and well-being initiatives, discounted gym and pool membership and learning and development opportunities.
For more details about the role visit www.seek.com.au/job/59656920 and apply directly via that website. Your application should include a current resume and a cover letter outlining your skills and experience.